- 2 tbsp coconut oil, or ghee, or combo
- 1 onion, diced
- 4–6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ lbs broccoli (cut stems into small dice or rough cut, cut up florets, reserve a few florets for garnish)
- 1 russet potato, diced (optional – used for thickness and texture)
- 1 cup spinach leaves, cleaned
- 32 oz Chicken Bone Broth or Beef Bone Broth or combo ( I use The Flavor Chef)
- ¼ cup basil leaves (reserve a few for garnish)
- 1 can coconut milk, full fat, or coconut cream (substitute water if on a fat restricted diet)
- sea salt, to taste
In a 4 quart stock pot, on medium heat, add the coconut oil or ghee and the onions and garlic. Season with salt and allow this to cook for 5 minutes, or until the onions are soft.
Add the chopped broccoli stems (and the optional diced potato) and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes. Now add the florets (reserve a few to cook separately for garnish) and add the bone broth.
Bring the soup to a low simmer and cook until the broccoli is tender and easy to cut with a knife. Add the spinach and basil and allow to wilt.
Next, add the coconut milk and puree with an immersion blender. Season with salt to taste. Serve the soup with a few added pieces of fresh steamed broccoli and a sprinkle of chopped basil.
Buy your bone broth via my affiliate link here: The Flavor Chef and use the discount code SeanaHart10 for 10% off.